Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Phoenix Half

On March 1st I ran my 1st half marathon with Becca, Jen, and Annie. We left at 4 am. I had trained for a several months. We ran our long runs together. I felt good going into it. I didn't have any goals, in term of time. I didn't want to stop to walk. I guess that was my goal. I knew I wouldn't though because I had ran 12 miles and didn't. The morning of was 100% chance of rain. It rained before the race while we were waiting and with 20 mph winds. I was freezing, like teething chattering freezing. My socks were wet before I started running. I really just wanted to take a warm bath and crawl back into a warm bed. The race went well once I started and started to warm up. All of us ended up having different paces. The weird thing for me is that I truly enjoyed the race, which probably means I could've pushed harder. When I passed an older person like in their 60's or 70's, I'd encourage them (kinda unlike me to talk to a stranger), so I knew I was feeling really good. I ended the 13.1 miles in 2 hours 6 minutes. If I run another one, I'll probably train a little harder so I can beat the 2 hour mark. My recovery was good too. I was sore the next day but I think it was because I was sprinting the last few hundred yards. I was pretty excited to take my socks and shoes off right after the race, because my socks had been wet for 3 hours. My toes were left white and wrinkly from my wet socks from the rain and puddles.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

I'm so glad you didn't get any blisters with wet feet! You are a rock star. I'm in awe of you. A half marathon!