Sunday, June 10, 2018

girls camp, Peace in Christ

It was my first girls camp since I was a youth and it was Sydney's first girls camp ever. We were both excited to go. We left early on Wednesday morning and drove right to the temple and then to dinner and the Mormon Battalion. The temple of course was so nice. i hadn't seen the baptismal font before, or at least it didn't look familiar to me. Jeff took the kids beach camping at the same beach too but was far away from our campsite. Thursday morning we went kayaking at La Jolla. I almost didn't go because I knew the water would be cold and I knew I would be freezing for the 90 minute tour. I decided buck up and do it especially after I heard we were gonna kayak to some sea caves. I went and got wet and was cold, but seeing the dolphins close to us and experiencing the sea caves was worth it. I learned that it's worth being a little uncomfortable at times to enjoy life and in this case to enjoy some of God's creations. Some of the girls got sea sick and sun burned. We had lunch and then spent some time at the beach there. We drove back to our campsite, went to the beach, made a sand art craft and then dinner and games. On Friday we hiked at Torrey Pines close to La Jolla, ate lunch there and then drove to our service project which was pulling weeds at a homeless shelter. We were hot and so excited to get to the beach after. I got in the water and got a wave on a surf board and went boogie boarding even. The girls loved this. We had a guest speaker, dinner, and our testimony meeting. I forgot what testimony meetings are like at girls camp and guess what it's the same from what I remember when I was a youth. I got to know one of the other leaders, Candice, really well. I think my favorite part was getting to know people a lot better. Because we had long conversations. At church and mutual you don't have much time to have really in depth conversations, so this was my favorite part of camp. WE got home Saturday evening and had Stake Conference today and everyone is writing in their journal right now, a new Sunday tradition.

No comments: