Sunday, March 24, 2013

teaching moments

I thought I'd write down a few teaching moments I've experienced the past few days. I love how teaching moments are usually spontaneous and I'm grateful I've recognized them and been able to testify of gospel truths I believe in.
1. Today we were making edible tombs. *side note* The week before Easter I focus a little bit each day on the events leading to Christs' resurrection. We call them "easter devotionals." Today was the first day and we talked about the tomb that Christ was buried in and so forth. After this devotional we made edible tombs (frosting graham crackers and using large marshmallows as the big stone to cover the tomb). Well Sydney is a perfectionist and she was getting very frustrated she couldn't get her edible tomb to her liking. I asked her if she wanted help a few times to which her reply was always the same, "NO! I wanna do it by myself." It then dawned on me then to teach her a little bit about the atonement and that we all need help; we need the help of Christ. We ourselves cannot be forgiven or resurrected again without Jesus' atonement. "By his selection and foreordination in the Grand Council before the world was formed, his divine Sonship, his sinless life, the shedding of his blood in the garden of Gethsemane, his death on the cross and subsequent bodily resurrection from the grave, he made a perfect atonement for all mankind. All are covered unconditionally as pertaining to the fall of Adam." Of course I tried to make it simple and sensible to a seven year old. She then allowed me to help and we made her tomb and this made more application to the atonement as well.
2. Yesterday I was on a date with Jordyn. As we were walking she mentioned, "I don't want another mom when you die. I want you to be my mom forever." Although it kinda freaks me out a little that she even said this, (like does she sense something is going to happen to me and of course I'm about to have a baby and things can go wrong) I was able to testify of families being together forever. Because Jeff and I have been married and sealed in the temple and to our children I can reassure her without doubt that we will always be bound together for eternity. I don't know if these moments teach Jordyn more or are more for me. Either way, it was good for both of us I'm sure.
3. Earlier this week I was trimming our grapefruit tree when I felt this wet stuff dripping down my arm. When I looked down I realized it was an egg and I had broken through a nest. At first I was kinda disgusted and wanted to wash off my arm and hand right away. When I was in the kitchen doing this, I saw a bird, I'm guessing the mom bird, right where the nest was. All of the sudden my heart felt her pain as she was probably inspecting what happened, why it happened, and feeling very sorrowful that her unborn bird was gone. It could be because I'm prego but I was wondering if this was a foreshadow of my future. I know I can't think that so I reflected more about Easter coming and was thinking about the life of Christ, his mission, death, and resurrection. Once again, I was reminded that we will be made whole again through the atonement of Jesus Christ. Although sorrow is very much a part of losing someone you love it gives me great hope and joy in knowing that we will be reunited with those who have departed before us.
Today we also discussed the Last Supper and Jesus washing the apostles feet demonstrating to serve and love others. After, we all washed each others feet. I'm doubling up on these devotionals since my family is coming Thursday. But the Mesa temple has the world's largest Easter pageant that I'm super excited to attend. Surprisingly I've never seen a pageant. Hopefully I'll make it till then.

 The edible tombs they are about to eat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These small recollections will always be there to comfort the children and at times, even you. It's interesting how much WE learn in the teaching of our children!!!